Unit 7 The Value of Money
Teaching Children to Spend Pocket Money Wisely
① School-going children need pocket money for food, stationery and bus fares. Parents give pocket money to their children in different ways. Some give a lump sum at the beginning of a month or a week. Others prefer to give pocket money on a daily basis. (1)The way in which pocket money is given affects how money is spent or saved.(承上启下的句子) On the other hand, the children's spending habits may affect how pocket money is given.
② (2)Pocket money given on a daily basis is sometimes termed as "food money". Children usually use the pocket money to buy food during recess and also at lunch hour if they have school activities in the afternoon. They learn how to manage small sums of money. As the money is limited, they have to control their spending.(承上启下的句子)(3)Some parents choose this method of allocating pocket money in order to prevent their children from overspending, hoping that in time they can be trusted with larger sums of money. Parents who earn daily wages may also opt for this due to financial constraints.(承上句)
1. The way in which pocket money is given affects how money is spent or saved.
(1) the way (in which / that) sb. does sth. (参考Unit 2，Text A)
the way (in which / that) sth. is done
(2) 句子的主干是：The way affects how money is spent or saved.
2. Pocket money given on a daily basis is sometimes termed as "food money".
(1) given on a daily basis 过去分词短语作定语
(2) be termed as 被称为…
3. Some parents choose this method of allocating pocket money in order to prevent their children from overspending, hoping that in time they can be trusted with larger sums of money.
(1) 句子的主干是Some parents choose this method in order to prevent their children from overspending.
prevent sb. from doing sth.与keep sb. from doing sth. 相同，但前者from可以省略，后者不能省略。
(2) hoping that…伴随状语，相当于in the hope that…"怀着……的希望"
(3) in time: sooner or later, eventually 迟早，最后
You will learn how to do it in time. 你迟早会能学会做这件事的。
(4) trust …with…把……托付给…… (参考Unit 3，Text B)
③ Giving pocket money on a daily basis places responsibilities of budgeting on the parents, instead of the child. (4)The child may spend every single cent of the daily pocket money by overindulging in junk food as they know they will get another sum of money the next day. This results in children being shortsighted in their spending. The thought of saving money never crossed their minds. (承上启下的句子) They may develop the mentality that money is meant to be spent.(承上句)Others spend more than they are given. They borrow from their siblings or their classmates when they feel like indulging themselves. Then they may ask for money to pay off their debts. (5)This habit of borrowing causes them to depend on others to solve their problems.(承上启下的句子) In such instances, the purpose of rationing is defeated.
4. The child may spend every single cent of the daily pocket money by overindulging in junk food as they know they will get another sum of money the next day. 孩子知道第二天还能得到一笔零花钱，因而会花光每一分钱，暴食垃圾食品。
5. This habit of borrowing causes them to depend on others to solve their problems.
(1) cause sb. to do sth.
(2) depend / rely on sb. to do sth.
类似用法的结构：wait for sb. to do sth.
call on sb. to do sth.
look to sb. to do sth. / for sth. 指望某人做某事
【单选题】10. His complete ______ on his parents made them very disappointed. He decided to encourage him to be _______ of them.
A. independent, dependent
B. independence, dependent
C. dependence, independence
D. dependence, independent
④ Children need to learn how to budget their money. Some parents go by the "learing by doing" principle and give their children lump sums at the beginning of the month, and by the third week of the month their account is already dry.
⑤ On the other hand, some learn to budget their pocket money very well and even have savings at the end of the month. They do not borrow money unnecessarily. In other words, they learn to spend within their means. (6)The key to doing this is to differentiate between needs and wants. (7)Buy the necessary first, and indulge ourselves only if there is money left. (承上启下的句子) (8)This habit, when inculcated since young, stands them in good stead when they start working and earning their own money. It enables them to resist the temptation of "buy now and pay later" schemes.(承上总结的句子)
6. The key to doing this is to differentiate between needs and wants. 做到这一点的关键是区分必须的和想要的。
(1) the key to (doing) sth.
(2) differentiate between A and B和differ from…的不同： 前者意为"区分A和B"后者意为"与……不同"
注意同根词：differ A differs from B …
different A is different from B
difference the difference between A and B
differentiate differentiate between A and B
7. Buy the necessary first, and indulge ourselves only if there is money left.
(1) only if 只有在……的情况下
注意区分if only 要是……就好了 If only I were a free bird flying in the sky.
(2) there is money left. 钱有剩余。
8. This habit, when inculcated since young, stands them in good stead when they start working and earning their own money. 当他们开始工作赚钱，年幼时受到谆谆教诲而养成的习惯就会使他们受益。
(1) inculcate sth. in/into sb. / inculcate sb. with sth. 向某人灌输……，用……教育某人
inculcate in young people a respect for the law = inculcate young people with a respect for the law向年轻人反复灌输法制的思想
(2) stand sb. in good stead: be beneficial to sb.
【单选题】11. I'm willing to lend you some money _______ you promise you will repay me next week.
C. only if
D. if only
【解析】本题考查only if和if only的区别。only if是条件句的强调形式，意为"只有在……的情况下";if only 意为"要是……就好了"，用于虚拟语气，故选C。句意为"只要你承诺下周还我，我愿意借给你钱。"
【知识点】only if和if only的区别
⑥ Formation of any habit starts at a tender age(幼年). (9)There is no better way to teach children to manage money than to start with their pocket money. They need to learn the importance of budgeting right from kindergarten days. It is a good idea to start with daily pocket money and move on to monthly pocket money.(承上启下的句子) When children learn to spend within their means, they are able to manage their finances well later in their lives.
9. There is no better way to teach children to manage money than to start with their pocket money.
否定词和比较级连用相当于最高级。本句相当于：To start with their pocket money is the best way to teach children to manage money.
再如：There is nothing better than having a cold drink on a hot summer afternoon.
I cannot agree with you more.
I cannot care less.
His words cannot be more inspiring.
【单选题】12. I benefited a lot from his words. In fact, his words _______.
A. encouraged no more
B. couldn't be more encouraging
C. not more encouraging
D. couldn't be more encouragement
【解析】本题考查"否定词+比较级"。本句选择B，His words couldn't be more encouraging.相当于His words were the most encouraging."他的话太鼓舞人了。"D选项中词性使用错误，应该用形容词encouraging而不是名词encouragement作表语。
P218 Bridging the Gap
Directions: Fill in the blanks with a word or a phrase that best completes the passage. You may choose a suitable one from the list given.
动词 形容词 连词 副词
grow basic now that ideally
invest wasteful where
Money management can actually be broken down into a very simple practice that even a fourth grader can do in his young life. The 1 basicstep to being on your wealth path is knowing how much you really do need in your life and how you can 2 invest the rest. If you are already working, arrange with your company to 3 directa predetermined amount of your payroll(工资单) into a forced savings fund and then you will learn to live with the rest. 4 Ideally, the amount that is left for you to work with is smaller, and this particular practice is actually 5 called"learning to pay yourself first" - despite bills and other payables(其他应付款), you will come first.
The beauty of this money management practice to get you on the wealth path is that you will be forced to cut your 6 wastefulspending. You will learn to live with what you have and figure out the little avenues(渠道) in your life 7 whereyou can stop the financial leaks. With this, you will find that you have extra money to invest with. 8 Now thatyou have a sizeable amount, the next thing that you can do is to figure out where to put the extras that have 9 accumulatedover time so you can generate money and make it 10 growwith very little effort from you. There are many things you can find to put your money in.
The Importance of Money in Life
1 What were you taught about money as you were growing up? Something like "money doesn't grow on trees", or "money is the root of all evil", or maybe "all rich people are greedy"?
2 Well, how do you expect to become a success financially if you believe these things? You attract into your life what you are thinking about and what you believe. If you think there is not enough money in this world for everyone you will never have enough money. That is called the Law of Attraction(吸引法则).
3 First of all, believing that "money doesn't grow on trees" is an example of what's called lack or scarcity programming. Our parents taught us that there was never enough money to go around(分配), and that it was not readily available or abundant. But in truth, the universe is very abundant, and there is lots of money to go around for everyone. Just think what you could do if you have as much money as your heart desires What wonderful things you could do with it: travel to the countries you have always dreamt of, buy a house you are even scared to think about, attend meditation classes so you could spiritually grow, donate money to your favorite charity, spend more quality time(黄金时光)with your family, (1)and the list goes on.
4 The key is to start thinking that you deserve the money and that there is lots of it available for you, and then you can start attracting it into your life. That's abundance thinking(充裕想法), which is the opposite of lack or scarcity thinking. (2)When you start thinking about the abundance the Law of Attraction will do the rest. (承上启下句)You do not need to know how it is going to happen. Just make the first step, first thought. Starting is already winning.
5 And what about thinking that "money is the root of all evil"? Can you really expect to become a success if you believe that money is the root of all evil? (3)Unless you have a desire to be an evil person, your subconscious will not let you have money if you believe deep down that it is the root of all evil.
6 By the way, that quote is taken out of context in the first place. It was originally stated as "the love of money is the root of all evil". (4)So it has nothing to do with the money itself.(承上句)
1. … the list goes on.
相当于there are many other thing that can be put on the list.意为"还有很多其它的事情(你可以做)"
2. When you start thinking about the abundance the Law of Attraction will do the rest.你开始想着充裕原则的时候，吸引力法则负责剩余的事情。即Once you start thinking about the abundance, the Law of Attraction will work with the rest.
3. Unless you have a desire to be an evil person, your subconscious will not let you have money if you believe deep down that it is the root of all evil. 如果你从心底认同金钱是万恶之源，那么除非你想当个恶人，否则，你的潜意识就不会让你有钱。
deep down: in reality, in spite of appearances 实际上，在心底
She seems indifferent, but deep down she is very pleased.她看上去无动于衷，其实心里非常高兴。
4. So it has nothing to do with the money itself. 因此它和钱本身无关。
have nothing / something / a little / little / much to do sth.
7 Now that you understand that, you can start to think that money is in fact good. You can help people with money. You can stimulate the economy with money. Even the most kind-hearted spiritual person, who says they don't need money, can do more to make the world a better place with money than without it.
8 And what about thinking that "all rich people are greedy"? Well, that creates us versus them, whereby you have labeled all of "them" greedy in your mind. You, on the other hand, are very giving in your mind. That's why you don't have money, because you're not greedy.
9 Sure, there must be some rich people in the world who are greedy. But there are also poor people who are greedy. There are both rich and poor people who are very giving as well. The amount of money you have has nothing to do with these character traits.
10 In fact, a lot of rich people got there by not being greedy. Having a giving attitude opens up a flow of money that often brings them more. You will find the same thing: give away money joyfully to a friend, and notice that it comes back to you in some other form. (5)The world needs to be a balance of give and take, and being joyful both as you give and receive will ensure that you always go with the flow.
11 (6)And changing your mindset from what you were taught as a child to a healthier view of money will allow you to become the financial success you deserve to be, to become the real you.
5. The world needs to be a balance of give and take, and being joyful both as you give and receive will ensure that you always go with the flow. 在这世上，给予和接受是需要相互平衡的，只有乐于接受，同时也乐于给予，才能保证你永远不会为钱发愁。
and 连接的并列句，and后的句子的主干是being joyful will ensure that you always go with the flow
6. And changing your mindset from what you were taught as a child to a healthier view of money will allow you to become the financial success you deserve to be, to become the real you.改变你儿时所学到的观念模式，树立一个更健康的金钱观，这会让你获得你本应得到的经济上的成功，做一个真实的自己。
(1) 句子的主干是：And changing your mindset will allow you to become the financial success, to become the real you.
(2) from what you were taught as a child to a healthier view of money作定语，修饰your mindset。
(3) you deserve to be作定语，是省略了引导词that的定语从句，先行词是the financial success